Monday, April 11, 2011

My first recipe challenge! Week of Monday, April 11th, 2011

First, a disclaimer: I promise not all of my recipe choices will be vegetarian. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and my kids and hubby are omnivores, so these recipes will cover the gamut.


That said, my first weekly recipe challenge comes from the 20th Anniversary Edition of The Grit Restaurant cookbook:
General Chin's 5-Star Tofu Delight.
Here's their verbiage on this recipe: "Jimmy Ray's rendition of a traditional Chinese brown sauce pulls no punches when it comes to the intense flavors of garlic and sesame." I'm still a bit leery of copyright issues so I won't post the recipe here, however I did find the recipe on Google Books. You can also check out http://www.thegrit.com/ to order your own copy.
 
The Grit is hands down my favorite restaurant (as a vegetarian and UGA grad I must admit I'm totally biased).  It's in the awesome little town of Athens, GA. Swing on by The Grit next time you're in town, especially if you can catch them for weekend brunch!

So far I haven't found great Chinese food in our town, and with my best friend Yingzi living in Belgium, home-cooked authentic Chinese food just isn't going to happen. I'm looking forward to giving this recipe a try, and in case anyone was wondering, I did get my hubby's input before deciding on this for my first recipe—he is going to have to eat it after all!

I've got to a bit of shopping to do before I can whip up this recipe. I'm almost out of sesame oil and I definitely don't have sesame seeds on hand. I'll let y'all know what my family thinks....

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, love that laundry tip!!! I'll let you know if I try any of them out. Jake is adventurous and will pretty much eat anything I cook, vegetarian or not. I'm always looking for more vegetarian recipes that are higher in protein too, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right about no good chinese food places nearby. very sad about that. let me know when you make this - i will stop by... for ummm... quality control... ;)

    ReplyDelete